Fully Guided 4 Day Hiking Tour
Come and experience the amazing sights of the Lower Hawkesbury and Central Coast on this fantastic 4 day adventure. The hikes on this trip are moderate to hard and only for experienced hikers, but the rewards are some of the best scenery Australia has to offer.
On this trip we will hike two legs of the Great North Walk, Cowan to Brooklyn and Patonga to Wondabyne. We’ll have an easy day as well, joining the Riverboat Postman on his daily mail run, explore and stay on Dangar Island, and on the last day walk Bouddi National Park and the 5 Lands Walk.
The trip includes 3 nights accommodation, two nights on Dangar Island and one night at Ettalong, on the beach. Luggage transfer is also included, just carry your day pack. Check out the photos and the Frequently Asked Questions for all the information you need about this trip!
National Parks NSW Accredited
|Departure Date||Tour||Duration||Price||Spots remaining|
|Thur 10 June 2021||Cowan to Terrigal||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
|Thur 26 Aug 2021||Cowan to Terrigal||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
|Thur 26 May 2022||Cowan to Terrigal||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
|Thur 23 June 2022||Cowan to Terrigal||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
|Thur 21 July 2022||Cowan to Terrigal||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
|Thur 18 Aug 2022||Cowan to Terrigal||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
|Thur 15 Sept 2022||Cowan to Terrigal||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
|Thur 13 Oct 2022||Cowan to Terrigal||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
Frequently asked questions
The tour is 4 days and 3 nights. All tours start on a Thursday and end on a Sunday.
Prices (including GST):
$AU980pp (double bed two people, private),
$AU1,290pp (double bed, one person, private )
$AU300 deposit required to secure your booking. Cancellations due to Covid related travel restrictions receive 80% refund of any amounts paid.
- 3 nights luxury accommodation
- Ferry, water taxi and minibus transfers
- Riverboat Postman tour and lunch on the Hawkesbury River
- All Luggage transfers
- Public transport fares
- Most Meals
Minimum: 6 people
Maximum: 10 people
If there are less than 6 hikers booked for the trip, then the tour will not proceed, and all payments will be refunded.
DAY 1 Thursday
- Arrive Cowan Station around 8.00am. Timetable transportnsw.info/stop From South arrives 7.37am. From North arrives 7.54am
- Luggage in Commuter bus. To coffee shop across road for briefing and coffee.
- Walk Great North Walk section 5, Cowan to Brooklyn. Guests to bring their own lunch and snacks. 13.4km. 650m ascent. Rated Moderate to Hard. Arrive Brooklyn about 4pm.
- Guests pick up their luggage and then ferry to Dangar Island.
- AirBnB accommodation at Dangar Island.
- Dinner at Dangar Bowling Club.
DAY 2 Friday
- Breakfast at AirBnB or local cafe.
- Riverboat Postman tour. Lunch included
- Buy food at Brooklyn for lunch tomorrow
- Ferry back to Dangar Island
- AirBnB accommodation at Dangar Island.
- Dangar Island walk in afternoon (Optional). 4.3km easy.
- Dinner at Dangar Bowling Club.
DAY 3 Saturday
- Breakfast should be provided at AirBnB, or use local cafe
- 8am, water taxi to Patonga.
- Commuter bus to meet us at Patonga. Take luggage to Ettalong Mantra.
- Great North Walk, Section 6, Patonga to Wondabyne. 19.5km, 861m ascent, Hard. Guests to carry own lunch.
- Train Wondabyne to Woy Woy. Departs hourly at 10 minutes to the hour.
- Bus 53, 59 or 70 to Ettalong Beach.
- Stay at Ettalong Mantra.
- Dinner at Ettalong
DAY 4 Sunday
- Breakfast at Hotel
- Commuter bus collects guests and luggage, transfers group to Putty Beach at around 8.00am
- Walk Bouddi Coastal Walk to McMaster’s Beach. 8.5km moderate.
- Lunch at McMasters Beach Surf Club
- Walk 5 Lands route from McMasters Beach to Terrigal. 10km moderate
- The tour ends at Terrigal at about 4 or 5pm. From there, guests can continue their stay in Terrigal, or get a lift in the commuter bus to Gosford station.
Bookings can be made online or manually.
Click the ‘Book online’ button for online bookings. A deposit of $300 per person will secure your booking.
For manual bookings, please use the “contact us” page to book your spots or make enquiries. The bank details for the deposit are:
Home Comforts Hiking
Irrespective of the booking method, an tax invoice will be provided for each booking
Bookings can be made online or manually. Click the ‘Book online’ button for online bookings. The cost of the trip will be in $US. A deposit of $US300 will secure your booking. If less than 2 months before the start date of the trip, then payment in full will be required.
For manual bookings, please use the “contact us” page to book or make an enquiry. We will send you a PayPal invoice. You do not need a PayPal account to make the payment. You just need a Visa or Mastercard to make the payment. Alternatively, you can pay in $AU through a money transfer company such as OFX or your bank, if you prefer. In that case use the bank details as shown for Australian based customers.
If we cancel the tour due to NSW Government imposed Covid 19 travel restrictions, then we will refund your payments in full, or transfer your booking to a new date.
If you cancel your booking due to State Government imposed Covid 19 travel restrictions in your state, then we will refund you 80% of payments made, or transfer your booking to a new date.
For non covid cancellations, if you cancel more than 6 months prior to the trip start date we will refund 75% of your payments. There are no refunds for cancellations made by you, less than 6 months from the trip start date.
The balance is due one month prior to the trip start date.
There are no refunds, due to cancellation by you, unless you (the person cancelling) introduce a replacement hiker to replace you. If a replacement can be found by you, we will refund 90% of the total paid by you.
Overall the hike is rated moderate to hard for experienced hikers. For inexperienced and less fit hikers, it would be rated hard to very hard. This trip is only recommended for experienced hikers that are reasonably fit and injury free. The total distance walked over 4 days of hiking is 56km. All hiking is on established trails, but some of the surfaces are quite uneven. There are some significant ascents on the hikes, especially on Day 3. We will be walking at an average pace of 2.5 to 3.5km/hr. It is possible to miss the difficult section, but it is very beautiful and a great challenge, so it would be a shame to miss it. There is a rest day on day 2 with an optional easy walk and the Riverboat Postman tour on the Hawkesbury River.
Two nights accommodation are in AirBnB houses on Dangar Island. Dangar Island is situated in the Hawkesbury River and can only be accessed by Ferry. There are no cars on the island. Each couple on this trip will have their own bedroom. Singles wanting their own bedroom will be charged a supplement.
The third night’s accommodation is in a luxury hotel at or near Ettalong. Our preferred hotel is on the beach. Couples share a room and singles can choose to share or for an additional cost get their own room.
Breakfasts – there are cafes at each location for breakfast. The AirBnB may have limited breakfast facilities available
Lunch – Each hiker will need to take lunch and snacks with them on Days 1 and 3. Lunch is provided day 2 and on day 4 there is a nice cafe at MacMasters Beach for lunch.
Dinner – Days 1 & 2 will be at Dangar Island Bowling Club and Day 3 at Ettalong where there are a few choices.
All of our Cowan to Terrigal Hikes are supported by a vehicle and driver. The support vehicle will transfer your luggage from accommodation to accommodation, and can also take passengers (if you want a rest day). You only need to carry a day pack while hiking each day.
We must impose limits to ensure our driver is not carrying excessive weights. There is a strict limit of 3 bags per person, as per the following:
Bag 1 – small day pack to carry on the hikes, 20-35 litre size
Bag 2 – Small Bag up to 10kg MAXIMUM for spare clothes and personal items
Bag 3 – Insulated shopping bag (NO eskies) up to 5kg for food.
No extra add ons such as handbags, pillows etc are allowed. If you want to bring these they must be placed in Bag 2.
Note there is a $55 surcharge for any excess luggage.
- Small backpack with waterproof cover
- One bag for luggage transfer
- Insulated shopping bag for lunch and snacks (or put with your luggage)
- Shirts, pants, shorts, underwear, socks
- Hiking shoes and comfy shoes/thongs/sandals for at the accommodation
- Hiking Pole(s)
- Water bottles / bladder
- Rainproof jacket
- Swimsuit and micro towel
- Money and/or Debit/Credit Card
- Passport (if applicable), Visa (if applicable), Travel Insurance docs
- Phone and/or tablet, camera and chargers
- Toiletries and medication
- Food/snacks can be purchased each day