Kumano Kodo Nakahechi route, Japan. 6 days and 5 nights
To book or to make further enquiries please use the contact form by clicking the ‘Contact’ link below
For over 1,000 years people from all levels of society, including retired emperors and aristocrats, have made the pilgrimage to Kumano. These pilgrims used a network of routes, now called the Kumano Kodo, which stretches across the mountainous Kii Peninsula.
The walk itself was an integral part of the pilgrimage process as they undertook religious rites of worship and purification. Walking the ancient Kumano Kodo is a fantastic way to experience the unique cultural landscape of Kumano's spiritual countryside.
In July 2004, the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage routes were registered as UNESCO World Heritage sites. This walk is a sister walk of the Camino Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage in Southern Europe.
Come and join me on this amazing hike across the Kii Peninsula and experience ancient culture and architecture, delicious Japanese food, traditional accommodation, warm onsens and friendly Japanese hospitality!
Departure dates (with guide, tour starts from Osaka KIX airport):
28th September 2019 - Fully booked.
5th October 2019 - Fully booked.
12th April 2020 - $1,790pp inc GST (Twin share)
18th April 2020 - $1,790pp inc GST (Twin Share)
26th September 2020 - $1,890pp inc GST (Twin share)
15th October 2020 - $1,890pp inc GST (Twin share)
If you have your own dates, contact me and I will arrange as a self guided trip (minimum 2 people), or arrange and accompany if I am available (minimum 6 people). For quotes and further information, please use the ‘Contact us’ form.
Self Guided package 6 days, 5 nights
Choose your own dates. Unbeatable Price!
- All accommodation
- 5 breakfasts and 4 dinners - luggage transfers while hiking
- Traditional River Tour
- Detailed trip notes, Pilgrims Pack and timetables
$1,290 per person
Tailor made self guided packages also available, from 3 to 10 days.
Kumano Kodo - Japan. Itinerary and trip notes
- Arrive at Osaka KIX airport. Flight arrival time should be no later than 12.30pm, Japanese time.
- Train from Osaka KIX to Kii Tanabe departs around 2.00pm (Japanese time), or make your own way to Kii Tanabe.
- Accommodation at Kii Tanabe. Arrive around 5pm. Briefing will be held at 5.30pm
- There are over 70 restaurants and bars in Kii Tanabe, for dinner
- Bus (40mins) to Takajiri
- Walk 13.5km to Chikatsuyu. Total ascent is 900m. PADS rating is 2.9. Note: The start of this walk is quite steep with 500m ascent over 4km. It is hard for inexperienced hikers but we take it nice and slow. There are two opportunities to leave the trail if you find it too difficult. The first is after 6km, and the second after 12km.
- Traditional Japanese accommodation, including dinner and breakfast, at Chikatsuyu
- Bus to Hosshinmon Oji
- Walk 7.5km to Kumano Hongu Taisha. Explore the shrines and surrounding area and architecture
- Walk 3km to Yunomine Onsen. Total PADS rating for day 3 is 2.2
- Accommodation including dinner and breakfast at Kuwayu Onsen
- Walk 14.6km to Koguchi. Great scenic views today! PADS rating 2.4
- Traditional Japanese accommodation, including dinner and breakfast, at Takata
- After breakfast we take a 90 minute traditional boat ride down the river to Shingu
- Lunch at Shingu - Explore the Hayatama and Kamikura shrines and the Castle ruins at Shingu
- Train to our accommodation at Kii Katsuura. Dinner & breakfast provided.
- Visit the early morning Tuna market - After breakfast take the bus to Kumano Nachi Taisha - Spend time exploring the beautiful Kumano Nachi Taisha area. It has the tallest waterfall in Japan, glorious paths and gardens and amazing architecture.
- After lunch we take the train to Osaka KIX Airport. The train journey takes 3.5 hours, and follows the coast of the Kii Peninsula
- Arrive at Osaka KIX airport for our flights, or continue your holiday in Japan.
What to bring
Luggage transfer is included. Allowance is one bag up to 20kg. Just carry a day pack for the hike.
- Medium backpack with waterproof cover
- Shirts, pants, shorts, underwear, socks
- Hiking shoes (slippers are available at accommodation)
- Rainproof jacket
- Swimsuit and micro towel - your own pillow if you don’t like hard pillows
- Money and/or Debit/Credit Card
- Passport, Visa (if applicable), Travel Insurance docs
- Phone and/or tablet, camera and chargers
- Toiletries and medication
• Important to know
What is included
- All accommodation
- 5 breakfasts, 4 dinners and 1 lunch - luggage transfers while hiking
- Train, boat and bus fares
- A guide for the six days (unless you purchase the self guided tour)
What is not included
- 4 lunches and 1 dinners
- Passport, visa (if applicable) and travel insurance
$300 deposit secures your spot. For more information please contact us using the contact page.